Subject: WTB?!
Location: Denver area (larva); east of Phoenix (Thrips & E. acutangulus)
I’m trying to positively identify three insects so their Genus species can be part of the file name which will have the Genus species of the flowering plant, too. (You’ll see.)
I’ll include all three images and note that I’m pretty sure I’ve tracked down the fruit fly name, Euarestoides acutangulus, though if you think otherwise, I’m all ears. Or, at least, eyes.
The (I think sawfly) larva is on a pincushion cactus blossom and might be two inches long? This is mid-May along the southern edge of the Denver area (Highland Ranch).
The Thrips is on a Mexican gold poppy, while the fruit fly is on a desert chicory. Both were shot in mid-March, east of Phoenix at about 2,100 feet elevation.
I appreciate your even taking the time to consider these.
Best,
Signature: Mark Bennett

Eschscholzia mexicana Aeolothrips sp. banded thrips Mexican gold poppy

Eschscholzia mexicana
Aeolothrips sp. banded thrips
Mexican gold poppy

Hi Mark,
Thanks for sending the higher resolution files.  We are attaching our cropped version for you to approve.  Based on BugGuide images, we agree that your predatory Thrips is likely in the genus
Aeolothrips.

Location: Phoenix, Arizona