Subject: Is this a dangerous scorpion?
Location: Eleuthera Bahamas
I would like to know what kind of Scorpion this is. And is is deadly? A friend from Eleuthera Bahamas sent me the picture. I didn’t even know we has scorpions in the Bahamas. I live in the main city which is Nassau Bahamas an I never ever seen one.
Signature: Shirrel Douglas

Scorpion

Scorpion

Dear Shirrel,
We believe we have correctly identified your Scorpion as
Centruroides guanensis thanks to The Scorpion Files where the range is listed as “USA (Florida), Caribbean (Bahamas, Cuba).”  Regarding the sting, The Scorpion Files states:  “From Dr. Rolando Teruel’s personal experience: mild venom, sharp painful sting with aftereffects lasting for 1-5 hrs.”

Location: Eleuthera Bahamas

2 Responses to Scorpion from the Bahamas

1. aussietrev says:

I don’t know if it’s urban myth or fact but have heard that the larger the pincers compared to body size the less toxic the venom, and vise versa. Do you guys know if it’s true or not?

We have read the same Trevor. Not sure if it is true or not, but we have repeated it. We don’t want to be accused of disseminating “false news”.