Subject: Alien Beetle
Location: Cartago, Costa Rica
I found this weird beetle that looks like an alien. It has a trunk like an elephant.
Signature: Juan Pablo Zúñiga

Weevil, probably Eurhinus magnificus

Weevil, probably Eurhinus magnificus

Dear Juan Pablo,
Your images of this magnificent, green metallic Weevil are gorgeous, and we were reminded of a tropical Weevil we posted long ago, but your individual is solid green and the Weevil we were reminded of had other iridescent colors like those produced by a film of oil on the surface of water.  We started like we always do, with an internet search using key words, and we found this look-alike on Ipernity and one on FineArtAmerica, but alas, neither is identified beyond the family level.  The third visual match we found on 500px is identified as 
Eurhinus magnificus, the same species we identified in 2005 from Florida where it is an Invasive Exotic species.  It is a native species for you in Costa Rica.  The entire life cycle is nicely documented on EDIS

Weevil, probably Eurhinus magnificus

Weevil, probably Eurhinus magnificus

2 Responses to Weevil from Costa Rica: Eurhinus magnificus

1. Rodrigo says:

I know about this battle.. I am from Cartago Costa Rica. I know ” los elefantitos” because I play with they wen I was 5 or 6 years old. I was in Costa Rica and I found it again.. If some want are interested in know more please contact me.