Subject: Very Strange Grub
Location: Northern ACT, Australia
I found a very strange grub underneath my sliding door. It is rather small, it is green mostly and has an interesting pattern on its body. It appears to have two fake eyes on the top of its head and has a barb on the rear of the bug. It doesn’t have legs which is why I am calling it a grub. It is not worm like. It is highly active when I touch it with a straw. It doesn’t move without stimulation. It’s probably about the same size of the top half of your thumb and about as wide. The sliding door where it is currently hiding is between the kitchen and the outdoor area which contains gardens and lawn.
Signature: Sincerely, Anonymous

Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Your Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar, Hippotion celerio, is a wide-ranging species found across Australia as well as many other parts of the world.  You can read more about the Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar on Butterfly House.