Subject: Purple and white millipede
Location: Big Island, Hawaii
I was hoping you could help me identify this millipede, which was wandering around on a dirt road at the northern tip of the Big Island, Hawaii. I see lots of rusty millipedes in this area, but this is the first time I’ve seen one like this. It appears to be a purplish color with those broad white stripes along its back. Its antennae are also striped. It’s about an inch long.
I found a couple of photos online, including one on your site (2010/01/10/millipede-from-hawaii/), but no ID. Any help would be much appreciated.
Mahalo,
Signature: Graham

Millipede

Millipede

Dear Graham,
We are not certain your Millipede is the same as the one in our archives, though the markings do look similar.  BugGuide has an unidentified Millipede from Hawaii that looks just like your individual.  We haven’t had any luck finding out anything else.

Thanks for the response. I saw the BugGuide photo too, but since they don’t officially cover Hawaii, their IDs are a bit hit and miss for here. I guess I’ll have to keep looking. I’ll let you know if I get a positive ID.
Mahalo, Graham

2 Responses to Millipede from Hawaii

1. Colin says:

Is it possibly a white striped millipede

2. Kaiaena says:

Hi, I was on a hike today and saw a millipede exactly like the one pictured above. It was hanging out in a small pool of water along the trail. Hike was on Oahu. I found this page trying to find out what kind of millipede it was.