Subject: Carabus granulatus?
Location: Lat. 48.372 Long. 123.538
Once again, I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring your site. Thank you and your crew for the wonderful time I just had!!
I found this beetle overwintering under an abandoned wasp nest attached to a rafter in my potting shed. I didn’t mean to disturb it and it was pretty groggy being woken up. it’s about 3/4″ long excluding the antennae.
I thought it was some sort of long-horn so I spent quite a while looking at them.
Anyway if it is an introduced insect, is it a problem? If it likes to eat earthworms that’s fine, we have lots!
Thanks again!
Best regards,
Signature: Sue

Ground Beetle

Ground Beetle

Dear Sue,
If we have calculated your global coordinates correctly, you found this Ground Beetle on Vancouver Island.  Please confirm.  We believe you are correct that this is a Granulated Carabid, and we do not believe it poses a threat to any local species despite it being an Old World species.

Thank you so much for your reply!
Yes you are correct. The location is southern Vancouver Island, Metchosin specifically, William Head Road.
Thank you also, for letting me know it is not a threat to the local ecosystem. I do really enjoy discovering insects and learning about them.
Haha! I’m not a great fan of the flea beetle though. They all like my brassica way too much!
I was pretty amazed when I saw this one. I think it’s a Rhyssa persuasoria. Holy cow!! Some bug!!! Not a very good picture though.
Cheers, Sue

Location: Metchosin, Vancouver Island

2 Responses to Ground Beetle on Vancouver Island

1. Mary Nacu says:

Subject: Carabus granulatus?
    Location: Courtice, Ontario (Lat. 43.887045, Long. -78.795609)
    May 07, 2017 ~7pm
    I just found the exact same beetle just sitting on our wooden deck steps (2nd step up from the lawn). We live smack in the middle of a fairly new suburb (under 10 years old) and have only one small maple tree started in our otherwise barren yard. It’s been a VERY wet week! (Over 90mm accumulated this week alone.) I’m wondering if the abundance of earthworms near the surface may have attracted it. Still have it in the kids’ bug catcher. But I don’t see how to post a pic, unless I start my own comment.
    Thanks for the cool website, and for your post Sue,
    Mary

2. Mary Nacu says:

Subject: Carabus granulatus?
    May 07, 2017 ~7pm
    Mary