Subject: Flying bug from rwanda
Location: Kigali, rwanda
December 7, 2016 4:31 am
I curious what this is. It was attracted to light and seemed to lose their ability to fly.
I understand some locals eat it and call it inanani, but I can’t find anything online about it.
Signature: Mcat

Sausage Fly

Sausage Fly

Dear Mcat,
This interesting creature is a Sausage Fly, a male Driver Ant in the genus
Dorylus.  We have a lengthy explanation about it in this Sausage Fly posting from our archives.  According to Myrmecos:  “Most people who see Africa’s ‘sausage flies’ wouldn’t pick that they are actually ants. In fact, these monstrous insects are males of the common Dorylus driver ants. They fly at night to gain a chance to mate with a queen from another colony.”  We could not locate any information on “inanani” but we are really appreciative that you informed us they are eaten by locals.

Location: Kigali, Rwanda

4 Responses to Driver Ant, AKA Sausage Fly from Rwanda

1. Dave Gracer says:

Hello Daniel; hope life is good with you. When I went to Tanzania in June 2015 I really wanted to sample this species, and I was lucky enough to do so. They were attracted to the light of our campfires, and a few came in at artificial lights as well. They tasted more like peanuts than most bugs I’ve tried. They were delicious, and big enough to be somewhat filling! It was one of the highlights of the trip [other than seeing the charismatic megafauna].
    Dave

Hi Dave,
      All is well with us in Los Angeles. We can’t help but to wonder what it is in the diet of Driver Ants that makes them so tasty.

• Dave Gracer says:

Though I couldn’t speak to the diet of the male alates in particular, Driver Ants are famous for eating whatever they can overpower with their epic legions of cutting mandibles. All is grist for their arthropodic mills.