Subject: This has bitten my daughter. Is it a type of Assasian Bug?
Location: Canberra, Australia
Hello, thank you so much for your help in advance. This has just bitten my young daughter on her wrist. It’s left a red bite that has swollen into a huge welt very fast. She certainly screamed and screamed so it must have been very painful.
I think it is a type of Assasian Bug but I’m not quite sure. If it is .. is that dangerous? Ive given her some bite cream to use and an antihistamine tablet.
We live in Canberra, Australia.
Thank you
Signature: Fiona Crispin

Ground Assassin Bug

Ground Assassin Bug

Dear Fiona,
This is indeed a Ground Assassin Bug,
Ectomocoris patricius, a species we identified on the Brisbane Insect website where it states:  “We found those orange and black assassin bugs running very fast on forest floor. This bug will bite if handle by bare hand. The insect has very strong front pair legs. All its legs are orange in colour. Its orange colour body and black pattern are the standard assassin bug warning colours. ”  This appears to be a wingless female.

Location: Canberra, Australia

One Response to Ground Assassin Bug bites girl in Australia

1. Fiona Crispin says:

Thank-you so much for your quick reply. We let the naughty little culprit go last night .. well away from our house. My daughter has certainly learnt a lesson about handling strange insects.
    We were advised by the poisons hotline to keep a look out for any signs of infection, where it bit her, over the next few days. We also just used some antiseptic cream on the bite.
    Thank you again so much for your help.