Subject: Earwig no forceps
Location: Logan Canyon, Utah
November 29, 2016 12:49 am
I found an unfamiliar bug that resembles an earwig. Although it looked similar, it was missing the forceps located near the rear of the insect. I extracted the DNA to see if I could use sequencing data to figure out what the insect was. My results came back as an isopod which made no sense (a pillbug). I am still trying to figure out what this bug is or the order it might belong in. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.
Signature: Linsee Park

Rove Beetle

Rove Beetle

Dear Linsee,
This is a Rove Beetle in the family Staphylinidae which is very well represented on BugGuide, but alas, there is not enough detail in your image to determine an exact species identification.  We are quite curious about the DNA testing you conducted.  Was it part of a educational program?  We fondly remember our own Fruit Fly data from a high school genetics class experiment that was so very wrong.  If your results were part of a student experiment, the error makes much more sense than if funds were expended through a for profit company.

Thank You! That helps me out a ton and gives me another place to keep researching. We conducted the DNA test for my Genetics lab course. I am currently an undergraduate at Utah State University. We used the Roche High Pure DNA Extraction kit and we amplified the 648bp region in mitochondrial cytochrome-c oxidase subunit 1 gene using the Promega PCR with GoTaq amplification kit. I was wondering if region of mitochondrial DNA that we amplifed are to conserved between different orders of insects. Could that be a possibility?
Thanks Again!
Linsee Park

Hi again Linsee,
Thanks for the DNA clarification.  Alas, our editorial staff does not have the necessary science background to answer your questions regarding shared DNA among the lower beasts.

Location: Logan Canyon, Utah

4 Responses to Rove Beetle and mistaken DNA

1. Austin says:

What sort of primers were you using?

2. Curious Girl says:

Maybe the beetle had just eaten a pill bug before the test?