Subject: Pleocoma staff Schaufuss 1870 male
Location: 4 miles South East of Grass Valley , Nevada County, California, USA
November 23, 2016 9:31 am
On October 16th and 17th 2016 ( during rain showers ) I headed south of Grass Valley on the side of the road and collected a very nice series of Pleocoma staff Schaufuss 1870 males both days crawling on the ground ,several run over and squashed by trucks, a couple netted in the air and 6 in my homemade blacklight traps .The male staff started flying as soon as the sun went down until dawn , which was the heaviest Fights . Male sizes ranged from 27 to 32 mm . The flights for a few males lasted until 8 o’clock that morning . These guys are stocky and have ” Amazing Colors ” ! Also stopped by a couple days ago and picked up a half dozen dead / barley alive males under lites. Cheers ! Gene St. Denis Sierra Nevada Research
Signature: Gene St. Denis

Rain Beetles

Rain Beetles

Hi Gene,
All your recent images are making us envious that we have never witnessed the flight of Rain Beetles.

Rain Beetle

Rain Beetle

Rain Beetle

Rain Beetle