Subject: Grasshopper from Alice Springs
Location: Alice Springs
I found Three grasshopper at Alice Springs, Australia in February.
Can you help me identifying the Bugs.
If you can identify the Bugs, you may use the pictures on you homepage.
Signature: Just bug names

Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Two of your Grasshoppers, the olive green and white striped individual and the green crested individual are both quite unique looking and we thought they might be easy to identify, but that has not proven to be the case.  They are not pictured on the Field Guide to Grasshoppers of Brisbane and South East Queensland, nor are they on Oz Animals which might mean their range is limited to the Northern Territory.  We will continue to research your Grasshoppers’ identities.  We are posting the images and perhaps one of our readers will have better luck than we have had.

Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Hi Daniel
Thank you for your try up to now. I am looking forward to hear from you again.
Regards
Henning

Grasshopper

Crested Tooth Grinder

Identification:  Thanks to a comment from Trevor, we now know that this is a Crested Tooth Grinder, Ecphantus quadrilobus, a species we already have in our archives and which is also pictured on iGoTerra and on FlickR.

Location: Alice Springs, Australia

3 Responses to Crested Tooth Grinder and Two Unidentified Grasshoppers from Australia

1. aussietrev says:

Hi guys,
    Way back in 2008 I sent you pictures and details of the Crested Tooth Grinder (Ecphantus quadrilobus. Pretty sure that is what is pictured as the third species.

How nice to hear from you Trevor. We thought that Grasshopper looked familiar, but we couldn’t find it. You are correct. You sent in an image of the Crested Tooth Grinder and it is still in our archives.

• aussietrev says:

I would have been in touch sooner but I wanted to wait until after the sounds of wailing, gnashing of teeth and the rending of garments had died down after the election outcome. 🙂