Subject: Unknown creepy crawler!
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Hello Bugman! We live in Chandler, Arizona & see all kinds of different insects. Found this one in my dog’s empty food bowl this morning & have never seen anything like it! With a quick first glance, I thought it was a small scorpion, but once I picked up the bowl, I saw it only has 6 legs & no “stinger tail”. We think it’s an earwig. Should we be concerned? Can you help us identify this little guy?
Signature: K. Garrett

Striped Earwig

Striped Earwig

Dear K. Garrett,
You are correct that this is an Earwig, and we believe we have correctly identified it as a Striped Earwig or Shore Earwig,
Labidura riparia, thanks to this Bugguide image.  According to BugGuide:  “introduced in NA, occurs across the southern states” and its habitat is “Coastal/riparian.”  How close you are to a body of water?  BugGuide also indicates:  “Preys on various invertebrates, but may occasionally switch to plant material.”

Location: Chandler, Arizona