Subject: Beautiful Wasp
Location: Chiriqui, panama
Hi Bugman, I saw this wasp at a gas station in Panama in October. A tour guide said it was a spider hawk but the internet pictures of those show they have orange wings. The closest thing I found to this is the great black wasp but the wings are not the same shape. Any ideas?
Signature: Lori Mailloux

Spider Wasp

Spider Wasp

Dear Lori,
We agree with the tour guide that this is a Spider Wasp in the family Pompilidae, and Tarantula Hawks belong to a genera of Spider Wasps, and many, but not all, have orange wings.  Alas, we have not had any luck finding any matching images online.

Location: Chiriqui, Panama

3 Responses to Spider Wasp from Panama

1. Curious Girl says:

Any chance this is a blue mud wasp?

That is possible, but the antennae look like those of a Spider Wasp.

• Curious Girl says:

I understand that though the males of many wasp species tend to curl their antennae this does appear to be a female if that is one of her nests under her. It could just be a curl due to being so close to the wall. Size would be helpful here too. But many blue mud wasps also hunt spiders.

Anyway, here is another one that appears to be the same with the purple wings though it is not identified either. This one definitely has curly antennae.

https://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/2015/06/04/a-blue-bug/

Either way, I would love to see her, or one of her sisters up close and personal. (: