Subject: Second attempt
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
November 10, 2016 5:22 am
I submitted an identification request with subject “It’s a biter!” on 26 September and have not yet received a response. I was also initially not able to include my own photo but have subsequently managed to get two more photos of the same bug – please see attached.
The one I saw today (there seem to be quite a few of them around here in Gauteng, South Africa) was smaller – about 0.7 inches. It’s look a little like a stink bug but I don’t think it is…
Thanks in advance!
Signature: Letani

True Bug

True Bug

Dear Letani,
Your observation that this resembles a Stink Bug is quite accurate as this is a True Bug in the suborder Heteroptera, but it is not an Assassin Bug in the family Reduviidae nor is it a Bed Bug in the family Cimicidae, the groups best known for biting humans.  Your image lacks critical sharpness, but we will still attempt a more specific identification for you.

Location: Gauteng, South Africa