Subject: Spider Identification
Location: Costa Rica, Talamanca Mts.
November 9, 2016 8:40 am
This was a pretty large spider in the Talamanca Mountains of Costa Rica that I photographed in December. I think it may be a “Wandering Spider but would appreciate anyone’s opinion on this. Thanks!
Signature: Trudy

Wolf Spider

Wolf Spider

Dear Trudy,
We are relatively confident that this is a Wolf Spider.  We found a convincing match on Mimages, but alas, it is not identified to the species level.

Thank you again, Daniel.  It seems that “wandering spider” is a sort of general name (although I see that some wandering spiders are commonly called “wandering” this or that—such as the Brazilian Wandering Spider) and the Wolf Spider would fit with that idea.  I’m glad I didn’t try to pick this one up—it would not have killed me, but the bite would have been painful for sure.  You provide such a great service to those of us who find these creatures really interesting!
And thank you also for the link to the New World Cerambycidae Catalog.  The link was definitely right for the beetle I saw.  So many of the longhorn beetles have double spots that I was wondering if I would ever find out which one I saw with single spots.
Trudy

Location: Costa Rica