Subject: What kind of bug is this
Location: California Sierras
I found this beetle yesterday November 3rd. I tried to identify it myself but no luck
Signature: Paul

Rain Beetle

Rain Beetle

Dear Paul,
This is a Rain Beetle in the genus
Pleocoma, a group that is endemic to western North America, mainly California and Oregon.  Your individual is a male.  Females are flightless and they live underground.  The winter rains stimulate metamorphosis and males fly in the rain to seek mates.  Are you able to provide us with more specific location information?  We will contact Gene St. Denis to see if he is able to identify the species.

Hi Daniel
Thank you for your help- I believe your right about it being a Rain Beetle. I went to your link and saw it referenced HWY 88 and Amador County. I am located about 35 miles south in the sierras in Calaveras County. Where by the way Mark Twain wrote the Calaveras Jumping Frog story (if you heard of that). I am in the town of Arnold elevation 4000 feet. The day I found it was right after a heavy rain which was what your link said
Thank you for your help!

Thanks for the additional location detail.  We hope Gene St. Denis can provide a species name for you.

Location: Calaveras County, Arnold, California

3 Responses to Rain Beetle

1. Gene St. Denis says:

Daniel and Paul, it appears to be an early flying Pleocoma hoppingi male . They normally fly in December/ January around 4,000 feet in that eco- zone of the Sierras . Is that the only one that you found Paul ? Cheers ! Gene St. Denis Sierra Nevada Research

2. Gene St. Denis says:

Daniel , the normal elevation range is 5,000 to 6,000 feet . However, they have been found on occasion below that level in the past . Cheers ! Gene St. Denis Sierra Nevada Research