Subject: Moth/Buttefly/?
Location: Orange County, CA
I was walking around outside my work when I saw this winged creature. It looks like it is half monarch half wood nymph butterfly but I cannot find anything online that looks like this.
I thought it looked really cool.
Thank you for your help!
Signature: Danielle Cook

Painted Lady

Painted Lady

Dear Danielle,
By comparing your image to this BugGuide image, you can verify that your butterfly is a Painted Lady,
Vanessa cardui.  According to BugGuide:  “Similar to the also common American Lady. Wings look more “rounded” in overall shape in American Lady, and outer margin of front wing is more excavated/concave in American Lady. Upper front wing with large subapical oblong spot near front margin always white in Painted Lady; can be white or orange in American Lady. Five small, instead of two large eye spots on the under hind wing.”

Thank you so much! I looked at pictures but am not good enough at spotting minor differences so I couldn’t discern exactly what type it was.
I appreciate your help!

Location: Orange County, California