Subject: Green Cricket in Seattle
Location: West Seattle in Washington State
November 5, 2016 9:26 am
I saw this cricket looking insect the other day on my small fence gate. I’ve lived in this house for almost 30 years and have never seen anything like this in Seattle before. I tried to identify it via the web and it appears that it is a Southern Oak Bush Cricket. The problem is that everything says they are found in Europe or Britain. What could this guy be? Thanks in advance!
Signature: Curious in Seattle

Immature Female Drumming Katydid

Immature Female Drumming Katydid

Dear Curious in Seattle,
Based on this BugGuide image, we are very confident that this is an immature female Drumming Katydid,
Meconema thalassinum.  According to BugGuide:  “Southern New England and British Columbia. See also BugGuide range map for an indication of the expansion of the range into neighboring states.”  This is not a native species, because according to the Singing Insects of North America website:  “This subfamily is represented in the United States by a single species, Meconema thalassinum, introduced from Europe.”  Interestingly, Oak Bush Cricket is another acceptable common name, along with Sea-Green Katydid, for the Drumming Katydid, according to BugGuide.

Thank you so much Daniel. I really appreciate you getting back to me so soon. Thanks for identifying the bug for us. Very interesting.
Curious in Seattle

Location: Seattle, Washington