Subject: Water Bug
Location: Western New York
One of our class room got tadpoles from Africa. The water they put into the tanks was from a pond in one of the teachers backyard. This bug popped up in it yesterday it has a grass straw that it looks like it breathes out of not sure though, and it’s body is protected by this grass looking shell (I guess to camouflage it?) I’ve Googled it and can’t find it anywhere! Thank you in advanced
Signature: -school custodia

Caseworm

Caseworm

Dear school custodia,
Were we betting on the origin of this Caseworm, the aquatic larva of a Caddisfly, we would put our money on the pond in the teacher’s backyard and not that they came in with the tadpoles, but we can’t help but to wonder if one of your classrooms wanted to observe the metamorphosis of tadpoles into frogs, why didn’t they choose to observe a local species of frog rather than to import tadpoles from Africa?  This classroom experiment is going to result in frogs and we hope someone doesn’t decide to release the African frogs into the local pond at the end of the experiment.  Introduction of non-native species into the environment is one of the biggest threats to the survival of native, endemic species in our current climate of globalization.  Alas, we digress.  It was not our intention to lecture your school on the ethics of globalization when you asked about the identity of the Caseworm.  Every species of Caddisfly has a distinctly different Caseworm.  Some make their cases from sticks, some from shells of molluscs, some from pebbles and some from sand.  In our mind, a much more interesting experiment would be to observe the lives of creatures in your local ponds.  Oops, we started lecturing again.

The frogs will be sent back once project is done. They chose this species because of its fast life cycle from tadpole to frog.
And thank you it is a very interesting water bug! The class will be watching it’s life cycle as well 🙂

Thanks for the reassurance.

Location: New York

4 Responses to Caseworm and the Metamorphosis of Tadpoles

1. Grace P. says:

Not to sound sceptical, but the school is sending the frogs back to Africa? That’s hard to believe.

2. Richard Portman says:

oh no. But maybe one or two of the students will
    be fascinated and continue to learn about the life
    around us.
    Just as an aside, not long ago there was someone
    who played with raising these creatures on colorful
    substrates to create “jewelry” and highlight the remarkable structures they make.
    I don’t think your response was too preachy.