Subject: Need to know…
Location: Stoddard, New Hampshire
October 14, 2016 6:03 am
one of these little guys was walking on my pup yesterday… and today…. he is on my kitchen table… catching a couple of “straggler” flies that have got in threw a broken screen… (thank god, because i hate flies)…. WHAT IS IT? I was thinking a baby praying mantis…??? but the head? and has no front little arms like a mantis…he had a hold of that fly though………. one thing for sure….. he made me smile…. he’s adorable. his little feet!!!
Signature: Patty Marotta

Assassin Bug nymph eats Fly

Assassin Bug nymph eats Fly

Dear Patty,
This is an Assassin Bug nymph in the genus
Zelus.  Though they are not aggressive towards humans, they can deliver a painful bite if carelessly handled.  Their mouths are adapted to piercing the exoskeleton and sucking the fluids from prey.  You can try capturing this Assassin Bug nymph in an overturned glass and transporting it back outside.  We will be post-dating your submission to go live to our site while we are away from the office at the end of the week.

thank you so much for the info. I’d kinda like to put him in an insect habitat….. seems everything i’ve been reading… they live 1-2 years in captivity… do you know if that is correct?
I have a couple of lady bugs in with him (DUG) right now… but he doesn’t seem interested. I’m thinking they might be too big for him? No?… i gave him a small spider yesterday… and he skawfed it RIGHT UP!!!! will he eat small crickets and meal worms?

Since Assassin Bugs are predators, we would expect them to eat any insects that move.  Perhaps the Lady Bugs are foul tasting.

thank you…. I bought him(DUG) a new home today….. complete with baby crickets and tiny meal worms…….. hope to see him eating soon! How long do you think he’ll live in the right conditions? He fascinates me… and made his appearance in my life at a very chaotic time, definitely something to keep my mind occupied…
Thanks again.

Perhaps a year in captivity.