Subject: Strange bug In Austin, Texas
Location: TX
I found this bug in my gym bag on 10/13/16. I found the bug on the University of Texas at Austin campus. The bug has a long black body divided into two parts. Half of the bottom of the back is transparent. I captured the bug (because it got into my room) and released it outside. The attached photos are the bug in a plastic case.
Signature: TKR

Black Soldier Fly

Black Soldier Fly

Dear TKR,
Because of the transparent part of the body you observed, the Black Soldier Fly,
Hermetia illucens, is sometimes called a Window Fly.  It is described on BugGuide as being:  “Large soldier fly, all black with bright white tarsi. Underneath, first abdominal segment has clear areas. Wings have purplish sheen. Likely a wasp mimic, it buzzes loudly.”  This is a harmless species that does not sting nor bite.  Because of your catch and release handling of this sighting, we are tagging the posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.   

Black Soldier Fly

Black Soldier Fly

Location: Austin, Texas