Subject: Petite, with long legs, seeks same…
Location: Andover, NJ
I am hoping you can help me narrow this down to a family. Pretty certain it’s a crane fly, although quite a bit smaller than what I’m accustomed to seeing. This one’s body was about 1/2-3/4 inch in length. I was only able to get one view of it before it took off. It had landed on some hostas, but our property is surrounded on 3 sides by woods (hickory, oak, maple, new growth).
Hope you help me out!
Signature: Deborah Bifulco

Crane Fly we believe

Crane Fly we believe

Dear Deborah,
We agree this is most likely a Crane Fly, and it reminds us of the members of the Liminid Crane Fly or Meadow Crane Fly family Limoniidae, though we didn’t find any images on BugGuide that look like your individual.  For now, we are posting it as unidentified and we will attempt to contact Dr. Chen Young who is a specialist in Crane Flies.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I, too, was thinking Limoniidae, but was also unable to find a match on BugGuide or elsewhere.  Hope your expert will be able to shed some light!
Kindly
Deborah

Location: Andover, New Jersey