Subject: One Left!
Location: Lion Gulch Trail Lyons CO
Birdwatcher here, spent the better part of a lovely snowy afternoon identifying butterflies I’ve picked up along the way. I’m down to one critter, a moth I think, and no matter how general or specific I make my searches, and on all the websites, have I found my answer.
Attached is a photo of said critter, taken July 25, 2010 at Lion Gulch Trail outside of Lyons, CO.
Any information is appreciated, have a wonderful evening!
Signature: Tina Toth

Police Car Moth

Police Car Moth

Dear Tina,
This is a Police Car Moth,
Gnophaela vermiculata, and you can verify its identity on BugGuide where its habitat is listed as “Typically foothills, mountain ranges, mid-elevations” and “Adults fly during the day in late summer, July-August.”  BugGuide also notes:  “Adults feed during the day on nectar of herbaceous flowers such as thistle (Cirsium spp.) and goldenrod (Solidago spp.)” and since your individual is nectaring on Goldenrod, we are thrilled to be able to tag this posting with Goldenrod Meadow.

Outstanding! On top of just being happy to know what it is, I love the name! I’m thrilled too, and thank you ever so much!
Tina

Location: Lion Gulch Trail, Lyons, Colorado