Subject: strange bug that looks like dead leaves
Location: woodbridge, ontario (canada)
October 12, 2016 8:06 am
Hello
In Ontario, Canada
October 12, 2016
Saw this bug resting on wall
What is it??
Signature: Ivana

Pandorus Sphinx

Pandorus Sphinx

Dear Ivana,
This lovely Hawkmoth is a Pandorus Sphinx, and sadly, your image lacks the type of clarity needed to really appreciate the beauty of this species.  Interestingly, we have several images on our site that also use bricks as a nice sense of scale, including this individual from Tennessee and this Pandorus Sphinx from Ohio sighted during National Moth Week in 2013.

Hello Daniel.  Thank you for your reply
I did not want to frighten it yesterday so did not approach closely.  It is still resting in the same spot this morning.  I approached closer and took this picture for you
My concern is the colder weather.   Will this hawkmoth survive?

Pandorus Sphinx

Pandorus Sphinx

Hi Ivana,
Thanks for sending a higher quality image.  Hawkmoths are relatively long lived, for moths, but we are speculating six weeks would constitute a long life for a Hawkmoth.  Insects are amazingly resilient to fluctuations in weather, but we imagine by the time winter sets in, the life of this individual will have ended.

Location: Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada