Subject: Another Sulphur Butterfly 🙂
Location: Coryell County, Texas
Another morning of gardening, another beautiful yellow butterfly visiting the Autumn Sage (Salvia greggii). I wish I could capture how beautiful these butterflies are! It’s tough for me to get the yellows and whites to show as more than bright blurs in the sunshine.
I think this is another Sulphur, but can’t tell which species.
Such gorgeous weather, 70’s to 80’s, no rain this week.
Thank you for all of your help throughout the months, seasons and years!
Signature: Ellen

Male Cloudless Sulphur

Male Cloudless Sulphur

Dear Ellen,
This individual is a male Cloudless Sulphur,
Phoebis sennae, which you can verify by comparing to this BugGuide image.  Interestingly, it appears to be nectaring from the same type of sage plant.  According to BugGuide:  “upperside of male wings lemon yellow or pale greenish-yellow with no markings; female forewing with small dark spot, usually a narrow blackish outer margin, and a few vague dark dots near tip. Underside of hindwing with two silver black-rimmed spots in both sexes.”  Your one image nicely illustrates the “male wings lemon yellow or pale greenish-yellow with no markings.”  We suspect the appearance of this male Cloudless Sulphur is a good indication that the image you submitted last week is a female Cloudless Sulphur.  Butterflies in motion can be difficult to capture in images, but we think you are doing a marvelous job and your images are a good indication of the patience you have with your uncooperative subjects.  

Male Cloudless Sulphur

Male Cloudless Sulphur

Location: Coryell County, Texas

2 Responses to Male Cloudless Sulphur

1. Ellen says:

Thank you so much for the information and encouragement! Best wishes always, Ellen ?

You are most welcome Ellen. Thank you for keeping our archives populated with the wonderful butterflies in your yard.