Subject: Pods
Location: Southern CA (Murrieta CA)
October 9, 2016 7:47 am
Hello, I need help identifying what these little pods are. At first glance they seem to be mouse poop but when you get close you can see that they are medium/light brown in color and have segmenting lines. I’m wondering if they are some sort of larva or droppings from some kind of animal
Signature: ?

Fly Puparia

Fly Puparia

Thank you for resubmitting your request using our standard submission form.  We now know where this sighting occurred, but you still did not provide much clarification on where in Murrieta, California you found them.  Were they in the house?  Were they in the garbage can?  These are the puparia of a Fly.  We suspect they were probably found in association with decaying plant or animal matter.  Many Flies are attracted to putrefaction, and lay their eggs on decaying organic matter found in garbage.  The eggs hatch into maggots that eventually transform into puparia.  Adult Flies will emerge.

Fly Puparia

Fly Puparia

Sorry I was not clear! So I actually found them all over my carpet along the baseboards in various rooms. They room that i found the most of them in has no food, plants, or animals in it. They are spread throughout the whole first floor of my house which the first floor alone is about 2200 sq ft. How can these be all throughout my carpet If there is not decaying plant or animal matter? What is the best way to get rid of these and prevent future ones from forming? My house is pretty clean. I do have a dog that goes outside but lives mostly inside. I vacuumed up all that I could see

We don’t want to make you paranoid, but if they did not come from a garbage can that was not emptied in a timely manner, they might have come from a dead animal inside your walls.

Location: Murrieta, California