Subject: What is this insect?
Location: Nepal
I came across this excellent creature in Nepal, I would love to know what it is.
Thanks so much,
Signature: Sarah

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Dear Sarah,
This is a Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae, and it is not pictured on the Cerambycidae of the World site for Nepal.  The tufted antennae are quite distinctive and we will attempt to continue searching for its identity at a later date.

Update:  Thanks to Cesar Crash and Boris Bueche, we now know that this is Imantocera penicillata.

Karl provides an agreeable identification.
Hi Daniel and Sarah:
It is a wonderful beetle and it looks like Imantocera penicillata (Cerambycdae: Lamiinae). You can check out a very good paper on this species by Bhattacharjee et al. (2014). Regards. Karl

Daniel this absolutely awesome, thank you so much for coming back to me and solving the mystery!
Super chuffed on the  post.
Thanks again,
Sarah

Location: Nepal

4 Responses to Longhorned Borer Beetle from Nepal: Imantocera penicillata

1. Cesar Crash says:

It must be Imantocera penicillata.

2. Boris Bueche says:

Arrived at same conclusion (n genus level, at least):
    http://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=97395&subview=grid&taxon_id=50265

Thanks for this and your other comments Boris. We will have to do plenty of posting corrections thanks to your diligence.