Subject: Bug Identification
Location: Bronx, New York
I just had a issue with my dog and fleas.. I took him to the vet and had all the appropriate procedures done. I also sprayed petlock indoors spray around his bedding area and all corners of the bedroom under the bed and in cracks and crevasses. While inspecting the area I saw these two types on insects near the crevasses on my wood floor. I’m hoping you can help me identify the species, are they harmful and what can I do to eradicate them.
I’ve included some macro shots and zoomed in at 300%. Hope that helps.
Signature: Rick G.

Mite

Mite

Dear Rick
One of your tiny creatures appears to be a Mite.  Though many Mites are considered harmless, and some predatory species are considered beneficial, there are also many species that can cause problems to people and pets.  Bird Mites proliferate in the nests of birds like pigeons that may be in your eaves, and once the fledglings fly off, hungry Mites might enter the home in search of blood or other food.  Other Mites infest stored foods.  Scabies are a type of Mite.  We have also received reports of Mites on computers.  Alas, we are unable to provide you with a species identification on the Mite.  You second creature appears to be a benign Springtail, though when they are plentiful, Springtails can be a nuisance in the home.

Springtail

Springtail

Location: Bronx, New York