Subject: A walking cocklebur only uglier
Location: Pinellas County, Florida
September 27, 2016 9:13 am
Several days ago I released some ladybugs on my milkweed plants. They have all disappeared, which is befuddling as the plants are in an enclosed pool cage and there is a generous supply of aphids to munch on. Today (September 27, approximate temperature 87° ) I noticed these beauties. I can’t imagine this is any part of the ladybug lifecycle. I was wondering if you might know what they are? They appear to be about the size of a pencil eraser and seem to get around quite well. I can’t tell if they are eating the aphids or not, although that would be great.
Signature: Melanie W.

Lacewing Larva

Lacewing Larva

Dear Melanie,
While you might be distressed at the disappearance of your Ladybugs, you should be aware that Lady Beetles can fly and they can also be adept at squeezing through small openings in your enclosure.  On a positive note, this is a camouflaged Lacewing larva, sometimes called an Aphid Wolf, and many gardeners believe Lacewings, both adults and larvae, are more effective at eating Aphids than Lady Beetles are.

Location: Pinellas County, Florida