Subject: Kids and Caterpillars
Location: Central Texas
September 27, 2016 6:45 am
My 4yo found a caterpillar he desperately wants to see turn into a butterfly. I have no idea what kind it is or what to put in the terrarium for it to eat. Can you help?
We live in central Texas. It was found on the ground in some dirt after it rained for a few day. It is Sept 27th. It has been really hot here in the 90-100’s but is now cooling off into the 70’s.
Signature: Little One from Texas

Heterocampa Caterpillar

Heterocampa Caterpillar

Dear Little One from Texas,
This is a Prominent Moth Caterpillar in the genus
Heterocampa, but we are not certain of the species as the members of the genus all look quite similar.  Browsing through BugGuide may help you identify possible food plants.  When it is getting ready to pupate, it might turn a purple or pink color

Daniel
Thank you so much.  We are going to try to let it pupate in our terrarium.  Here is an updated photo of the little guy!

Thanks for the updated image.  Your caterpillar is turning purple right on schedule.

Pre-Pupal Heterocampa Caterpillar

Pre-Pupal Heterocampa Caterpillar

Location: Texas