Subject: Diminutive Colorful Beetle from the Pacific Northwest
Location: Portland, Oregon
It was a partly cloudy and 67° day when I noticed this colorful beetle moving around nervously on a hibiscus shrub. Its dimensions were about those of a mid to large sized ladybug and an unusually colorful insect for the Portland, Oregon area Thanks for any help you can provide in identifying it and for your wonderful website!
Signature: David

Green Stink Bug Nymph

Green Stink Bug Nymph

Dear David,
This is not a beetle.  It is a another Stink Bug nymph, and based on this BugGuide image, we have determined it is a Green Stink Bug nymph,
Chinavia hilaris.  Here is another image on the Journey to the Center blog.

Thanks for your identification. No wonder I couldn’t find a photo of it — I was looking in the wrong order entirely. I need to start thinking “could it be a nymph?” when I see an unknown insect. The nymph is so snazzy and jewellike, but the adult rather ordinary looking. I’ll try not to “bug” you for a while.
Thanks again,
David

No problem David.  Whenever you get an image of something that you don’t recognize, feel free to send it our way and we will do our best.

Location: Portland, Oregon