Subject: Can you identify this Grasshopper please.
Location: Minnesota
September 20, 2016 7:56 am
Hello, we were outside at the zoo in Minnesota on 9-19-2016. It was very warm outside and we came across this Grasshopper which had what looked like larve on its back. It was very docile and allowed me to photograph it a few times. Help us solve our curiosity about this odd little critter.
Thanks for an awesome sight,
Signature: Adam Godes

Grasshopper with Fly Larvae

Injured Grasshopper with Eggs

Dear Adam,
This is not a healthy Grasshopper.  We believe it is a Spur-Throated Grasshopper from the subfamily Melanoplinae which is well represented on BugGuide.  The Grasshopper is definitely injured, as it is missing its hind legs, which are the legs used for jumping.  We believe that injury has led to this female Grasshopper’s Eggs being expelled through the wounds.  We have an image in our archives of an Obscure Bird Grasshopper that looks very similar.  We received a comment to that image from Brandon who wrote:  “so I found the same thing when I was feeding my turtle. Pulled off the legs of a grasshopper to feed him and out came these yellow ovals.  I believe them to be eggs too.”

Injured Grasshopper

Injured Grasshopper with Eggs

Location: Minnesota