Subject: What is it ?
Location: Ashford ct
September 17, 2016 7:29 am
Hello. I found this cool guy crawling along the road. He looks almost scaley. I’d love to know what it is. Thank you
Signature: Nicole Whitney

Ello Sphinx Hornworm

Hermit Sphinx Hornworm

Dear Nicole,
We believe this is the Hornworm of an Ello Sphinx,
Erinnyis ello, but according to Sphingidae of the Americas, it is only listed as a stray in Connecticut, meaning adult moths sometimes are found.  If there are caterpillars, it is naturalized.  According to Sphingidae of the Americas:  “Larvae can be quite varied.”  There is an image on BugGuide of a similarly colored Ello Sphinx Hornworm.  The Ello Sphinx Hornworm is described on BugGuide as being:  “Horn reduced to a low point, arising from an elevated angular hump.  In the last instar, the horn is reduced to a nub.  Eyespot over the third thoracic segment is hidden in the resting caterpillar.  Ornately banded thoracic and prolegs.  Length to 7cm.”  We will check with Bill Oehlke if he agrees with our identification.

Bill Oehlke Provides Correction:  Hermit Sphinx
Lintneria eremitus.
I wish permission to post

Ed. Note:  See Sphingidae of the Americas for information on the Hermit Sphinx.

Location: Ashford, Connecticut

One Response to Hermit Sphinx Hornworm

1. christine says:

I found this exact same one in New Milford CT, on 9/20/16 I took a photo