Subject: Easter tiger swallowtail, light and dark
Location: Troy, VA
September 16, 2016 11:55 am
I thought you might like these photos I took of female Eastern tiger swallowtails in their light and dark variations. A couple of weeks ago when the Joe Pye weed was blooming we had an extraordinary display of butterflies, particularly swallowtails. If people want to know how to attract butterflies, get some native weeds.
Signature: Grace Pedalino

Female Tiger Swallowtail: Dark Form

Female Tiger Swallowtail: Dark Form

Dear Grace,
We love your images of dark and light female Tiger Swallowtails, and we totally agree about Joe Pye Weed, Goldenrod, Milkweed and other native plants being perfect for attracting butterflies.  We hope you will be able to provide us with an image of a male Tiger Swallowtail in the near future.  We managed to get a few images several summers past of a very wary male Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, who can be recognized because of the absence of blue coloration on the lower wings.

Female Tiger Swallowtails

Female Tiger Swallowtails

Female Tiger Swallowtails

Female Tiger Swallowtails

Subject: Male tiger swallowtails
Location: Troy, VA
September 17, 2016 10:30 am
I went through my photos and only had a couple of images with males. They were either not as plentiful as the females, or they were shyer. In two of the images you can see ailanthus webworm moths and in one the webworm moth and a skipper. I haven’t seen any swallowtails lately, so I don’t know if I will be able to get any other images. I hope you like these. What I have been seeing lately are skippers and crescent moths.
Signature: Grace Pedalino

Male Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Male Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Hi Grace,
Thanks so much for rounding out your Eastern Tiger Swallowtail posting with a few images of the male, who lacks the blue scales on his lower wings.

Male Eastern Tiger Swallowtail with Ailanthus Webworm Moth

Location: Troy, Virginia

2 Responses to Eastern Tiger Swallowtails: Dark Female, Light Females and Male

1. Grace Pedalino says:

I’m glad you lke the photos. I’ll look and see if I have an photos of males. I also have some nice pictures of some kind of crescent butterfly, would you be interested in those as well?