Subject: identify bug
Location: Bedfordview, Gauteng, South Africa
September 12, 2016 9:15 am
Hi There,
Please see attached pic.
I saw it on my balcony and took a pic as really not sure what it is, to my surprise I had a broom on the balcony when I moved it there were a lot more of them in the brush.
Please be so kind as to identify and provide more info.
Much appreciated
Signature: Adele Beukes-de Lange

Red Headed Cockroach

Red-Head Roach

Dear Adele,
Thanks to this iSpot image and this iSpot image, we at first speculated that this is a Red Headed Cockroach,
Deropeltis erythrocephala, though we had some doubts as to the species as your individual has black legs and the wings seem different, both of which are contrary to the other iSpot images.  We continued to search and we believe we found a better match with the Red-Head Roach, Oxyhaloa deusta, on Roach Crossing.  This iSpot image is a much closer match.

2 Responses to Red-Head Roach from South Africa

1. RAYMOND says:

Hi, our garden is invested with Oxyhaloa deusta RED HEAD ROACH, they now move closer to the house after the heavy rains. Do they pose a danger to our healt and how would we contain their numbers if need be without harming other insects and frogs

We do not provide extermination advice. We don’t believe you need to worry about your health, though if plentiful, the Red-Head Roach might be a nuisance.