Subject: Fat Weird Caterpillar
Location: Maryland
Hey!
Apparently this fell on my cousin out of a tree (no worries she put it back and it was NOT harmed in anyway) and I’m not quite sure what it is, perhaps you may know? I’ve never seen one like it around here, but maybe it’s common? Let me know when you get the chance and thank you for all you do!
Signature: Rochelle

Imperial Moth Caterpillar

Imperial Moth Caterpillar

Dear Rochelle,
This is the caterpillar of an Imperial Moth, and its size and color indicate that it is getting ready to transform into a pupa, which it does underground.  When that time approaches, the normally green caterpillar changes color and loses interest in eating leaves.  It falls or descends to the ground and find a suitable place to dig.  While your cousin had good intentions to place it back in the tree, this individual most likely immediately set upon getting back on the ground.  Because of your cousins kind intentions, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

Hello Daniel!
Thank you so much for getting back to me, you literally made my day! I work at a bagel shop where we have a dry erase board where we put fun facts and trivia for people to look at while they eat and I’m going to make the caterpillar of the Imperial Moth the Animal of the day! Ill send you a picture when it’s done! Thank you again, you and your team are truly great people and its awesome to know that there are other bug friendly enthusiasts out there! Have a wonderful evening,
Rochelle

Female Imperial Moth

Female Imperial Moth

In honor of you and your peeps and for the magnificent creature that is the Imperial moth. I’m actually a decent artist but its hard to draw with dry erase markers.. Also I just saved an Imperial Moth from the hallway of my apartment a few weeks ago and I’m pretty mad at myself for not knowing what the pre-pupa form looked like… Either way, thank you again for the response and keep up the good work!
Rochelle

Imperial Moth Art

Imperial Moth Art  (click to enlarge)

Wow, thanks for the awesome update.

No problem! I’m honestly just thrilled that you took the time to write back and now that I know you have a book for sale… 😀

Location: Maryland