Subject: Is it a moth???
Location: Texas Pahnandle
My son took a picture of this moth?? On the Canadian River Bottom on Stinnett, Tx..
Can you please tell me what it is?!
Signature: Trinity

Glorious Squash Vine Borer

Glorious Squash Vine Borer

Dear Trinity,
We are confident that we have identified this wasp-mimic Moth in the family Sesiidae as a Glorious Squash Vine Borer,
Melittia gloriosa, thanks to images on the Moth Photographers Group, and we verified that identification on BugGuide where we learned:  “Larvae bore in the large tubers of various cucurbitaceous plants” and that it is also called the Manroot Borer. We hadn’t given the Manroot much thought regarding its family, but on Las Pilitas Nursery site, we learned the Manroot or Wild Cucumber is a member of the family Cucurbitaceae and we suspect that your Glorious Squash Vine Borer may have gotten its common name of Manroot Borer because it feeds on the Manroot.   This BugGuide image is an especially good visual match to your image.

Location: Stinnett, Texas