Subject: Mystery wasp
Location: Troy, VA
I spotted this lovely wasp (I’m assuming it’s a wasp, but maybe it’s not) on goldenrod flowers by the side of a pond. It has a slight bluish sheen that doesn’t really show in the photos. I have done some searching but can’t really figure out what this is. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks again
Signature: Grace Pedalino

Potter Wasp

Potter Wasp

Dear Grace,
We identified your Potter Wasp as
Zethus spinipes thanks to this BugGuide image.  According to BugGuide:  “Black, thorax has yellow marks. Narrow yellow band on abdominal segment 3. Wings brown to violet. Bizarre stalked abdomen typical of genus.”  We are very excited to have a posting to add to our new tag:  Goldenrod Meadow.

Potter Wasp

Potter Wasp

Location: Troy, Virginia

2 Responses to Potter Wasp

1. Grace Pedalino says:

Thanks very much for the ID. I thought the wasp’s markings were quite striking. I’m glad you like the photo. One thing we have lots of is goldenrod. I’ll see what else I can photograph that might be of interest on the goldenrod for your new section.

Thanks again for an informative website.