Subject: It’s something new for you guys – a bug!!
Location: Yarmouth, ME
September 5, 2016 10:43 am
Hello!
Found this bug hanging out in our lawn, not on any plants, kinda maybe even trying to burrow? Not sure because my dog bothered it until it stopped trying to move 🙁
At that point, I moved it to the garden, tried and failed to research it, and then went back and took the attached photos.
Anyway, any help identifying this guy would be super appreciated!
Signature: Mikala

Waved Sphinx Hornworm

Waved Sphinx Hornworm

Dear Mikala,
Using the Sphingidae of the Americas site, we quickly identified your Hornworm as that of a Waved Sphinx,
Ceratomia undulosa.  According to the site:  “In the fifth instar, the spiracular ovals are decidedly red and the anal horn is off-white to pinkish laterally”  and “Just prior to pupation, larvae frequently take on a rosy hue.”  Your individual was getting ready to dig underground to pupate.  We hope it was able to realize its mission.

So neat! I’ve lived here most of my life and I’ve never seen anything like it before. Thanks for your help!
Mikala

Location: Yarmouth, Maine