Subject: What is this?
Location: Dubbin, OH
This bug was on my driveway basking in the sun. Appears to ha e two sets of wings? Or is it mating? The whole thing was about an inch long. Here is a pic. This was taken Today, August 31 in Dublin, OH
Signature: Lisa H

Mantis

Mantis

Dear Lisa,
This is a Preying Mantis, but we are not certain about the species.  One inch seems quite small for a North American species.  Of all the species represented on BugGuide, the closest visual match seems to be the Grizzled Mantis, but that is a Southern species not reported further north than South Carolina according to BugGuide.  This is a good BugGuide image that is similar to your own.

Location: Dublin, Ohio

5 Responses to Unknown Mantis

1. Cesar Crash says:

Something seems to be not right here. The position of the legs looks like it’s dead and the position of the wings doesn’t look natural to me

Hi Cesar,
      We agree this mantis looks dead, but based on the submitted letter, it was still found on a driveway. It is definitely a real mantis, and it does not look like a species that should be found in Ohio naturally. Just because the mantis appears to be dead does not imply that the submission was in any way the perpetration of a hoax. It might have died, either of natural or unnatural causes, and then been discovered by Lisa H.