Subject: Moth probably, but maybe butterfly?
Location: N. Central Saskatchewan, Canada
I have googled this until my eyes went googly!
This probably moth was fluttering in an awkward moth type way, visiting flowers during the daytime yesterday. I am located in N. Central Saskatchewan Canada
I was curious as to what sort of moth it is, if it is indeed a moth. I’ve never seen one before and now have 20 or more people actively googling images and descriptions to no avail. Do you have any idea what it is?
Signature: Tami Z

I have found the ID of this moth so you may ignore my request and thank you for your effort!  It was ID’d as a celery looper moth.  It might be a bit out of it’s range but it was a warm winter. Thank you!

Celery Looper Moth

Celery Looper Moth

Dear Tami,
Thanks for getting back to us with a correct identification of your Celery Looper Moth,
Anagrapha falcifera.  We are pleased to be able to post your wonderful image that matches this BugGuide image.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae feed on large variety of low plants: beet, blueberry, cabbage, carrot, celery, clover, corn, lettuce, plantain, Viburnum species. Adults nectar on flowers of various herbaceous plants” and “Adults are active day and night, and are attracted to light.”  You were quite lucky having a team of 20 helping you with the identification.  Sometimes identifications can be quite time-consuming.

Thank you for the follow up. You`re right – ID can be really time consuming but what a fun challenge!
It was a first for me, but when you start googling grey and brown moths you realize how may firsts are yet to come!

Indeed, many moths are brown or drab in color, and many look very similar, which is why we often stop at a general family identification.  The fact that this moth was observed flying during the day is an unusual characteristic, and searching with the term diurnal early may have yielded quicker results.

Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

One Response to Celery Looper Moth from Canada

1. Tami Z says: