Subject: Black Witch Moth
Location: Studio City, CA
I found, I believe, a Black Witch Moth female on the wall at the entrance of my parking deck. I am concerned about the sorry state of its beautiful wings. It has been there for a while. It was dusk when I found it.
Signature: Jessica Chortkoff

Female Black Witch

Female Black Witch

Dear Jessica,
You are correct that this is a female Black Witch moth.  The Black Witch is a long-lived species that is known to migrate thousands of miles.  Their wings can often get quite tattered, but that does not seem to negatively impact their ability to fly.

Oh that is good. I did some research and found out that if a butterfly injures its wing in such a way that they are no longer symmetrical it will starve because it can’t really fly. The only way to save it would be to put it in the fridge for ten minutes, so it goes into a trancelike state, then hold it and clip the wings so they are the exact same shape, or if you have extra butterfly wings on hand, you can try to glue part of the doner insects’  wing on to make it symmetrical. I am not sure I am a butterfly surgeon. Another option would be to build a butterfly garden on my balcony. It has probably flown away by now though.

Location: Studio City, California