Subject: Unknown beetle
Location: Warsash, England
Found this beauty in our back garden today, in Warsash on the south coast of England. It was very hot here today and he appeared to be resting in the shade. Can’t find him in our Beetle books!
Many thanks
Signature: Tracy Dukes

Sun Beetle:  Pachnoda marginata

Sun Beetle: Pachnoda marginata

Dear Tracy,
Our first impression proved correct:  This is not a native species in England.  We believe we have correctly identified your Scarab Beetle as a Sun Beetle,
Pachnoda marginata, a species that according to Shutterstock is:  “a beetle from the subfamily Cetoniinae (Scarabaeidae) that lives in west and central Africa. They are used as food for terrarium animals.”  Perhaps this individual escaped from someone who is raising them in captivity.  According to BioLib, it is a Congo Chafer.  According to the Global Biodiversity Information Facility:  “Pachnoda marginata is a beetle from the subfamily Cetoniinae with a large number of subspecies that lives in west and central Africa.  They are sometimes used as food for terrarium animals.”

Location: Warsash, England

3 Responses to African Sun Beetle found in England!!!

1. Tracy Dukes says:

Wow! How very cool. I wonder what his story is, and I also wish I’d seen which way he went. I hope he’ll be OK?
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

2. Tracy Dukes says: