Subject: What is this
Location: Florida orlando
Found it in Orlando
Signature: K webb

Exuvia of a Masked Hunter

Cicada Exuvia, NOT Exuvia of a Masked Hunter

Dear K Webb,
This is the exuvia or cast off exoskeleton of a Masked Hunter.  All insects molt or shed their skins, and the remains are called the exuvia.  The Masked Hunter is a predatory Assassin Bug often found in homes.  The immature Masked Hunter has a sticky exoskeleton that attracts dust and debris, very effectively masking it in its surrounding.  When it molts, the Masked Hunter leaves behind its exuvia, and it is naked until more dust and debris sticks to it.  Though they may bite if carelessly handled, Masked Hunters are harmless.

Update:  Cicada Exuvia
Thanks to the readers who wrote in.  We retract our original identification.  We should look more closely in the future.  Our eyes were playing tricks on us.

Location: Orlando, Florida

4 Responses to Exuvia of a Cicada

1. Michael Davis says:

Im not an expert, but that sure looks more like a cicada exuvia to me.

2. Josh Mahan says:

I agree. I would wager large amounts of money on this being a cicada. Also, the masked hunter has a smaller head, more pronounced front legs with long antennae.