Subject: bug
Location: United States
Sir I am 8 months pregnant and would love to know what kind of bug has been on my mattress since I’ve been gone. I’m scared it’s bed bugs and I know I can’t afford to get rid of them. The small ones look like fleas, the big ones look like ticks. I had bug bites on my arms for awhile I just didn’t know it was from my mattress.
Signature: shayla price

Bed Bug

Bed Bug

Dear Shayla,
We are sorry to have to tell you that this is a Bed Bug.  The good news is that Bed Bugs do not spread diseases.  We would urge you to consult with a physician, but to the best of our knowledge, bites from a Bed Bug should not affect your unborn child.  Again, we are not medical experts, so you should check with a physician.

Location: United States

3 Responses to Bed Bug

1. Chris says:

Does whatsthatbug.com also not endorse extermination of bedbugs?

WTB? does not endorse wholesale extermination, especially of native species that pose no threats. We also firmly believe that non-native species that pose a significant threat to native species, like the Argentine Ant, should be controlled. We believe things need to be taken on a case by case basis. Our site disclaimer was implemented because we cannot fully control the Google Ads placed on our site, and the disclaimer is more regarding products advertised on our site than regarding an actual blanket statement about extermination. Invasive species and threats to human health and welfare are distinct exceptions. If we found a Bed Bug on our mattress, we would kill it.

2. Recent Bug Refugee says:

Shayla, it doesn’t have to be expensive to get rid of an infestation, but it does take some hard work and vigilance. You will want to be very cautious about using pesticides, though, with being pregnant and when your baby arrives.

If you rent, your landlord should be responsible for treatment — but they should use an experienced pest professional (one that is familiar with bed bug behavior and proper treatment options). Make sure the pest professional knows you are pregnant.

The first and best things you should do, aside from notifying your landlord if you rent, are to buy a mattress & box spring encasements, isolate your bed from the walls and floor (no bed skirt, hanging sheets, etc), and put traps on the legs of your bed. Vacuuming all the nooks and crannies — gaps, baseboards, bed frame corners, etc. in your bedroom is important to remove bugs and eggs, but you must either throw away the vacuum bag each day or use knee-high pantyhose stockings on the vacuum hose (then you can soak those in alcohol and throw away, instead of the whole vacuum bag). You will also want to bag up all your clothing etc. and put through the dryer on very high heat (120 degrees kills all stages of the bugs). Then keep storing your belongings in plastic trash bags or Ziplocs until you know the bugs are gone.

Know that foggers and sprays sold at home stores are not a reliable method to eliminate an infestation, and can be dangerous if not used properly.

Good luck!