Subject: Big fly
Location: Arizona
Someone suggested it could be a salmon fly. It’s similar but not the same as the photos I’ve found. It is on my front porch. No water nearby, though we’ve had a little rain this past week. Neighbors down the street have a pool, but would like fly eggs survive the chlorine? Even with rain, it’s very dry in zip code 86326.
Signature: Bug aficionado

Antlion

Antlion

Dear Bug aficionado,
This is most definitely NOT a Salmonfly.  It is an Antlion in the family Myrmeleontidae and we believe we have correctly identified it as
Vella fallax thanks to images posted to BugGuide where it states:  “very large, wingspan to circa 120 mm, with tropical specimens even larger.”  Antlion larvae are sometimes called Doodlebugs.  The larvae of many species lie buried in the sand at the bottom of a pit where they wait with only their mandibles exposed for hapless creatures to fall into their jaws.  We suspect the creators of the “graboids” from the movie Tremors used Doodlebugs as inspiration.

Thank you! I used to recite the “doodlebug” poem when I was a child visiting cousins in NC. I had no idea they were ant predators.

Location: Arizona