Subject: Three Lined Hover fly
Location: Karori, Wellington, NZ
Just photographed this fly inside my house, and looked up on the internet to find what it was. Will go and liberate it now that I know it is a “good” insect. Thought that you might like to see the photos.
Signature: Heuchan Hobbs

Threelined Hover Fly

Threelined Hover Fly

Dear Heuchan,
Thank you ever so much for sending your excellent images of a Threelined Hover Fly,
Helophilus seelandicus, to our site, especially since you did not require an identification.  We have but a single image of a Threelined Hover Fly in our archives, and it is a ventral view, which is not ideal for identification purposes.  Your dorsal views are marvelous.  According to Landcare Research:  “Attracts attention because of its noisy flight  Important pollinator of flowers  Larvae are rat tailed maggots which live in liquid containing rotting plants or animals.”  According to iNaturalist, it “is a native hoverfly of New Zealand. The name corresponds to the three black lines behind the insect’s head.”  We are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award since you captured and released.

Threelined Hover Fly

Threelined Hover Fly

Thank you for your reply to my email re the Threelined Hover Fly.
I give you permission to use my photos, if you wish in your “What’s that bug” archives.
I have also included two extra images taken after I liberated the fly onto some retaining wall timber. I don’t know how long the fly stayed there, it was gone about 30 minutes after liberation. Didn’t stay “on watch”, was getting cold, late afternoon time.
Thanks again for your informative email,
Regards,
Heuchan

Three-LIned Hoverfly

Three-LIned Hoverfly

Location: Karori, Wellington, New Zealand

13 Responses to Threelined Hover Fly from New Zealand

1. Hi Daniel
    I live in Katikati in the north of the North Island of New Zealand. I just found a hover fly on the inside of my window. I have never seen one here before so was worried one of our B & B guests had bought it from overseas in their luggage. I am so pleased to read on your website that it is a local and your picture is very clear for identification purposes. Thanks for the information.
    Margie

We are happy to hear a posting on our site helped to allay your fears that an invasive species was being introduced to your area.

2. Hi Daniel
    Margie

3. Jim says:

Just caught and released a large hover fly in Piha. Orange legs and bright yellow stripes.

4. Kim says:

Thanks for allaying my fears too, pretty sure that’s what I just caught and released. Waiheke Island.

5. rachel bellard says:

Lovely Photos – Just found one near Ngaruawahia, and we live organically on a lifestyle block plant a lot of trees etc so insect thrive here.

6. Mary says:

Just found one in our classroom in Christchurch

• Kate Griffith says:

Hi Mary! This is really interesting, we too are in Christchurch and had one fly into our house. We captured it and then googled to identify. Upon learning what it was, we released it outside. It looked like it had a huge stinger which is what had us confused, do they sting??

7. Malcolm Clunie says:

Found what I am sure is one of these. The body was longer and thinner than the image shown. However I released it once I foind this post. I am in Tauranga

8. Three lined hover fly found in Riverton today resting on brick entrance support.

9. Abby says:

Hi my son just found one of these inside our house in Nelson and we have not seen one before, were worried it had possibly come from the port. Thank you so much for your post we have now sent it happily on it’s way.

10. Phillipa Dobson-Brown says:

I live in Riverton, Southland and came across a huge number of these flys yesterday in the garden near our bee hives in the long grass.Quite noisy and flitting from one blade of grass to another.