Subject: Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Location: Perinton, NY
Hi! Here are some pics of an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on the right-of-way behind our home. I believe it’s a male, as I didn’t see any blue on the hind wings. We’ve had an amazing variety of butterflies here this year, more than in years past. Enjoy!
Signature: Jennifer

Tiger Swallowtail

Tiger Swallowtail

Hi Jennifer,
You surely are providing us with some wonderful eastern butterfly images.  Because of your location, we cannot say for certain that this is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail,
Papilio glaucus glaucus, since the range of the Canadian Tiger Swallowtail, Papilio canadensis, can be as far south as Pennsylvania.  The two species look very similar and this BugGuide differentiation and description of the Canadian Tiger Swallowtail “adult: inner margin of hindwing has wide black stripe (whereas the otherwise similar – though larger – Eastern Tiger Swallowtail has a thin black stripe in that area)” seems vague, as does the comparison of images on the Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility site.  We do agree it is a male.  Perhaps one of our readers will write in with a more concrete species call than we are able to provide.

Tiger Swallowtail

Tiger Swallowtail

Thanks to a comment from Cesar Crash, we will concur that this is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Tiger Swallowtail

Tiger Swallowtail

Location: Perinton, New York

3 Responses to Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

1. Cesar Crash says:

This is P. glaucus to me.
    “The second diagnostic feature for canadensis is the width of the black band along the anal margin of the hindwing (Scriber 1982). For P. glaucus males, widths are in the range 10 to 50 percent of the width from wing margin to the CuA2 vein; whereas for P. canadensis males,
    the range is 50 to 90 percent (Scriber 1982, R. Hagen, unpubl. data). The width of the black band is greater in females than males, though the relative difference between species persists. ”
    I think we can tell this based on the underside view:
    http://butterfliesofamerica.com/papilio_g_glaucus_specimens.htm
    http://butterfliesofamerica.com/papilio_canadensis_specimens.htm