Subject: What is this bug in my pond?
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Hello.
Recently, I found this bug swimming around in my pond. It is summer here. There are a lot of them in there and they generally stay in the water. They don’t skim on top of the water like most bugs I’ve seen in my pond so I am curious. A lot of the time my fish will chase them around and they are very fast. Faster than the fish actually. Their color looks like that of a green and black tadpole but they obviously don’t look like tadpoles. I don’t know if these bugs are dangerous to my pond or fish and I would be very greatfull if you could help me identify it.
Signature: Makayla

Dragonfly Naiad

Dragonfly Naiad

Dear Makayla,
This is the aquatic larva or naiad of a Dragonfly.  Though they normally crawl among aquatic vegetation in search of prey, and when threatened, Dragonfly naiads are able to move more quickly through the water.  According to the Dragonfly Website:  “They easily propel themselves by expelling water out of their body through the anus.”

Location: Pennsylvania