Subject: ?
Location: Atlantic county NJ
Hello, I love in southern new Jersey by the shore. I keep finding more and more of these bugs on my raspberry bushes. I can’t seem to find them online and I don’t know if they’re beneficial or otherwise. Can you help?
Signature: Sunny

Mating Banded Net-Winged Beetles

Mating Banded Net-Winged Beetles

Dear Sunny,
You do not need to fret about the health of your raspberry bushes because of these Banded Net-Winged Beetles,
Calopteron reticulatum, because according to the genus page on BugGuide:  “adults take nectar; larvae prey on small arthropods under bark.”  According to Featured Creatures, the Banded Net-Winged Beetle is:  “commonly found resting on vegetation in moist woods throughout much of the eastern United States.”

Location: Atlantic County, New Jersey

One Response to Mating Banded Net-Winged Beetles

1. Mary Ann says:

I can’t believe that two clicks in, I found a picture of the bug that visited me last evening, the Banded Net-Winged Beetle. I played with him (or her) for a while and then put him on a hibiscus. He was very beautiful and friendly (-: I had never seen this insect before last night.

Thank you for your wonderful website.

MAS